Thursday 27 March 2008

From Spain to Chick Corea


Armando Anthony "Chick" Corea (born June 12, 1941) a.k.a. Chick Corea is a well-known jazz musician. I don't want to pretend to be his critic journalist. So let me talk about my experience with Chick Corea music. The first time I knew his name after watching a jazz concert in Gajah Mada University Yogyakarta on 1986. A local band played a song entitled Spain and I was amazed by that piece. From that experience, later I know that Chick Corea composed that piece.

After that, I try to enjoy his album, firstly from his best of Chick Corea. From Chick Corea music, I notice such likeable jazz despite it's sophisticated chord and skill. Until 1996, if I think about jazz, I just remember two names: Chick Corea and Al Di Meola. Meola is an other jazz musician I like so much, because of his likeable compositions.

Fortunately that when I lived in Metro Manila 1996, I got some jazz long playings including this album Leprechaun by Chick Corea (1976). According to Wikipedia, this album was recorded during Corea's time with his jazz fusion group Return to Forever. Though the album is more jazz oriented than anything Return to Forever had produced up to that time, the fusion edge still rings through quite clearly. *

Track list

1. Imp's Welcome
2. Lenore
3.Reverie
4. Looking at the World (Lyrics: Neville Potter)
5. Nite Sprite
6. Soft and Gentle (Moran)
7. Pixiland Rag
8. Leprechaun's Dream Part 1
9.Leprechaun's Dream Part 2
*

No comments: